The Poster Project was a tedious one to say the least. I chose to do a poster of the first 42 presidents of the United States. It was so stressful organizing that many images! I had 44 layers in Illustrator that I had in order and color coded. The toughest part, by far, was lining the images up. I used Illustrator’s built in intersect tool that displayed a straight line when two pictures were even both horizontally and vertically. To get even spacing I had to use my brain and count how many spaces I could fit in between each picture. I felt like I used so much math! To make sure they were even I had to use Shift+the arrows in whatever direction I needed to go. This was very time consuming and frustrating when I would miscount and have to start the row or column over. Luckily, I only had to do this for the top row and the first column so I didn’t go completely insane. Cropping and sharpening all 42 pictures took quite a while as well. What I like about this project was the intervals I could take breaks within. Unlike the Intro Visual, this project had points that I could stop at and not forget what I was doing the next day when I continued. Once all the pictures were in place, I did the text. I made one text box that I thought looked good, then used the same Shift+the arrows strategy to paste all 42 text boxes to their respective layers. Next was the task of recreating an American flag. I found a basic one with all 50 stars and opened it up in a new Illustrator document with 2 artboards. I used the pen tool to trace the entire thing and used the eyedropper to recreate the same colors. I then used an application on my iPhone that gave the picture a vintage and distressed feel. I opened the edited image up in Photoshop and reduced the opacity to 50%. The title was definitely the easiest part. Using the eyedropper on the unedited flag, I used the same blue in the stars background for the title.
Beginning with the audio, I felt that it would be a much easier task than the Intro Visual project (I was right). I’ve used audacity, but just to record myself for a Spanish class. I thought the program was pretty basic and not a lot of options for additional effects. The whisper booth we used was a little slow, which was expected. Once I got the computer booted up, I recorded my friend reading the text probably a lot more than he wanted to. I had 3-4 recordings for each effect that I wanted to use in Garage Band. My favorite was the basic female one because it sounded most like a speech would. I used the different effects in Audacity such as the bass boost and equalizer. Clipping it together was simple, but I had trouble trying to make the speech sound smooth since I used pieces of different recordings and some had either higher or lower pitches.